One of the periods is depression. During this period, depression, unwillingness, decreased interest and desire, sleep problems, appetite problems, inability to concentrate, decrease in energy, guilt, inner distress, inability to go to work, restlessness and suicidal thoughts can be seen for at least two weeks.
The second period is the period of exuberance (mania). This period lasts at least a week. The person begins to sleep less, but is still extremely energetic. We come across as a cheerful, overly active, overly talkative, extroverted, excessively joking person who sometimes makes unwarranted sexual jokes, feels like an important person, and spends excessively.
Sometimes, during this period, the person may be an overly belligerent and angry person. In this period, inappropriate and frequent sexuality may be experienced. All of us may have such periods during the day or for a day. But when we ask the families; Our child was not such a person, they say, he changed suddenly and became a completely different person. The key difference is to behave inappropriately in inappropriate environments. Essentially, the word maniac is used as a word of humiliation in society, although it is the person who has experienced the mania period.
While people with bipolar disorder experience depression more frequently in the autumn and winter periods, they may experience more periods of exuberance in the spring and summer periods. Often there is no stress when starting these periods.
However, in stressful situations, it can initiate this disease. People may experience a disease period or multiple disease periods in this disease throughout their lives. These episodes may be mixed episodes with depression, mania, or both. Many people; He uses antidepressant drugs upon the recommendation of a friend or relative, or upon request from the pharmacy. Drugs used without such knowledge and without follow-up can initiate a period of exuberance in patients with depression.
Conditions suggestive of bipolar disorder:
1. When the person is going through an introverted period, suddenly they start to experience an extremely joyful period.
2. A person with normal clothing starts to wear excessively colorful attention in a short time.
3.The fact that a person who is not very talkative becomes excessive for days, even though his voice has been muted for days
4. The person is very vigorous despite having little or no sleep.
5. Behaving inappropriately in an unsuitable environment. For example, singing at a funeral, laughing excessively.
6. To be overly cheerful for no reason.
7.Excessive and uncontrolled shopping or spending despite not having such a habit
8. Alcohol and drug abuse.
9. Although not before; overconfidence, fighting everywhere.
10. Increasing of these symptoms in the spring period.
11. Being overly cheerful by entering an opposite period of depression without completing the treatment for two weeks in treatment with antidepressants.
12. People who frequently experience depression experience excessive euphoria in the interim periods.
In the treatment of the disease; Depending on how heavy the period is, different treatment methods can be used, from outpatient treatment to hospitalization or even shock therapy. The disease can last a lifetime. Therefore, preventive drugs are used to prevent the disease from recurring. One of the biggest risks of the disease is suicide attempts. For this reason, it is necessary to pay attention to the treatment and not stop taking medication without the psychiatrist’s recommendation.