Some diseases can cause obesity such as kushing disease and hypothyroidism, but these are rare causes. The main causes of obesity are;
Lack of physical activity (sedentary life, lack of daily activity). You could not be able to burn the calories you take daily.
Unhealthy eating and eating habits: When we eat more energy than you burn daily, the excess part is stored as fat in our body. It facilitates this in high-calorie foods in the form of fast food.
Risk factors of obesity:
* Obesity is a complex condition that occurs as a result of the combination of many factors and facilitating factors.
* Family lifestyle
* Lack of daily movement
* Unhealthy diet: Foods that are rich in calories and poor in fruit and vegetables that can be consumed quickly.
* Some medications that have to be used; some antidepressants, diabetes medications, cortisone, and blood pressure medications
* Poor social and economic conditions
* As the age increases, the rate of obesity increases
* Insufficient and irregular sleep
With a healthy diet, a regular exercise program and lifestyle change, you can fight obesity individually. If you fail in this war, you can apply to us doctors. The fight against obesity is a very serious issue.
Diseases associated with obesity
If you are obese, then sooner or later your chances of experiencing obesity-related health problems are inevitable.
Examples of these health problems;
* High triglyceride level
* Type 2 diabetes
* Metabolic syndrome: high blood sugar + high blood pressure + high triglyceride + low HDL cholesterol
* Having a stroke
* Increase in cancer rate: It increases the possibility of many cancers such as uterine, cervix, endometrium, ovarian, breast, colon, rectum, liver and prostate cancer.
* Problems with breathing; sleep apnea (shortness of breath during sleep)
Gall bladder problems
* Infertility and menstrual irregularity
Erectile dysfunction (impotence)
* Fatty liver
* Osteoarthritis, joint degeneration
The most common obesity surgery:
Gastric bypass: A small pouch (about 20-30 cc) is created in your stomach, this pouch is directly connected to the small intestine. In this way, the food passes to this small stomach pouch and from there to the small intestine, during which time the rest of the stomach, the duodenum and a small intestine close to 200 cm are never bypassed. In this way, satiety can be achieved with less food and a significant part of the food cannot be digested since a very long portion is disabled.
Tube stomach (sleeve gastrectomy): It is the removal of the fundus side of the stomach by cutting the stomach and leaving a tube-shaped stomach. The stomach pouch left here is approximately 45-120 cc. Tube stomach surgery is one of the easiest operations to be performed in obesity surgery.
Biliopancreatic diversion surgery: As in the tube stomach, a part of the stomach is removed and then the exit valve of the stomach is preserved and the first part of the duodenum is cut off and this place is connected to a place close to the middle part of the small intestine by deactivating a significant part of it.
Metabolic Surgery: This is a set of surgeries that are preferred in cases where obese patients have diabetes simultaneously and solve diabetes in a more effective and permanent way. In this surgery, gastric sleeve surgery is performed and a replacement procedure is performed in the small intestines.