Eye Health and Diseases Specialist Prof. Dr. Ahmet Akman gave information about smart lenses and their use.

Stating that 70 percent of the focusing power of the eye is obtained from the corneal layer in the shape of a watch glass and the remaining 30 percent from the eye lens, Akman said, “The eyepiece has the capacity to focus both near and far by changing its focusing power when necessary. this focus-changing capacity decreases and the difficulty of near vision and reading begins. As the age progresses, the lens of the eye with reduced focusing capacity becomes more distorted, losing its transparency and cataracts occur. In this case, both near and far vision is impaired. gave his information.

Akman stated that trifocal lenses, which are called smart lenses, come into play at this point, and noted that trifocal lenses, which are placed in the eye after cataract surgery, remain in the eye for life once they are placed.

“Laser eye surgery only removes distant vision disorders”

Akman stated that smart lenses were developed for the need of patients with cataract surgery to see far, middle and close distance without glasses, “Smart lenses also have the effect of placing three lenses in the eye. This surgical method is applied to patients who want to get rid of near and distant glasses, if any. With the smart lens is placed in the eye and the patient can see without glasses at near, middle and far distances for life. ” used the expressions.

Stating that smart lenses are an alternative not only for those with cataract problems, but also for patients over the age of 45 who want to get rid of their close glasses, Akman noted that laser eye scratching surgeries cannot fix this problem. Akman said, “Laser eye surgery only removes distant vision disorders. In fact, if myopic individuals have laser at this age, their distance vision improves, but they become invisible without glasses. we help them see without glasses at close, middle and far distances. ” gave his information.

“Night light scattering is a price we pay to read near without glasses”

Akman stated that, apart from its advantages, the biggest disadvantage of smart lenses occurs when the pupil is dilated at night, “When the pupil is dilated, the three-focus lens focuses the light in three different ways. As a result, light rings around point light sources such as car headlight, moon, street light. In fact, light scattering at night is a price we pay for reading near without glasses… The better a lens shows near, the more light is scattered. This is the basic rule of physics. ” made its evaluation.

Prof. Dr. Ahmet Akman continued his assessment as follows:

“Elongated focus lenses do not have three focuses unlike trifocal lenses. So they may soon be insufficient for reading text. But they allow reading devices used at medium distance such as computers and phones. As a result, there are many different lenses used in smart lens applications. Patients’ expectations, lifestyle. and their profession is very important in lens selection. Having good communication with the patient’s doctor and choosing personalized lenses is the key to making our patient happy and beautiful. “




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *