“Cancer is the common name of the group of diseases characterized by the uncontrolled or abnormal growth and proliferation of cells as a result of damage to the DNA in our cells.” It is estimated to be 2 million.
Smoking, malnutrition, malnutrition, alcohol and infections are the leading environmental factors that affect cancer formation. Especially, faulty eating habits increase the risk of cancer formation by 25 percent to 30 percent. The good news is that it is possible to turn cancer risk into an advantage with quality nutrition and lifestyle changes. “There are important practices you can do to help reduce your risk of getting cancer, such as staying in a healthy weight range, regularly doing physical activity, having a healthy diet, avoiding alcohol and smoking.”
Ecem Ocak, from Expert Diet, listed the steps we can take to protect against environmental factors that cause cancer:
STAY IN A HEALTHY WEIGHT RANGE
Being in a healthy weight range allows you to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Because excess weight and excessive body fat can cause breast cancer, colon and rectum, endometrium, pancreas, liver, kidney, etc. increases the risk of many cancers. In addition, some studies have observed that overweight increases the risk of thyroid cancer. Therefore, being in the desired weight range with a healthy nutrition program will reduce the risk.
MAINTAIN HEALTHY NUTRITION
A healthy and quality diet is an important part of a good life and reducing the risk of cancer.
Recommendations of the World Cancer Prevention Fund (WCRF / AICR);
• Consume a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, grains and legumes.
• Do not consume sugary drinks.
• Limit red meat consumption and avoid processed meats.
• Alcoholic beverages; women; 1 glass / day, men; Limit 2 glasses / day.
• Limit consumption of salty foods and processed foods.
• Choose a balanced diet that includes a wide variety of foods.
• Do 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
• It is as weak as possible without going below normal.
VARIETY VEGETABLES AND FRUITS
It is very important to eat healthy and make it a lifestyle. That’s why you need to aim for a sustainable diet that fits your life. Fill your plate with as much colorful vegetables and fruits as possible. Remember that the more color, the more health. Consume more of the antioxidant-rich dark green, orange, purple and red fruits and vegetables. Because antioxidants protect cells from damage and reduce the risk of cancer.
CONSUME DRIED LEGUMES AND WHOLE GRAIN PRODUCTS
The Glycemic Index determines how quickly carbohydrates turn into sugar in the blood. Foods that cause rapid rise in blood sugar have high glycemic index values. Therefore, fruit juices with high glycemic index, acidic sugary drinks, white bread, pastry, etc. Instead, we should prefer whole grain products with a low glycemic index. A diet rich in fiber and restricted in fat lowers the risk of colon and rectal cancer. Therefore, be sure to consume a lot of vegetables, fruits, and legumes, which are sources of fiber.
LIMIT RED AND PROCESSED MEAT CONSUMPTION
There are studies showing that red and processed meats increase the risk of cancer. There is strong evidence that processed meats especially increase the risk of choleractal cancer. Recent studies also say that consumption of red and processed meat has an increasing effect on breast cancer risk. Therefore, it is necessary to limit the amount of consumption. Many studies say that nitrite increases the risk of cancer. Nitrate can be added to processed meats to improve meat, increase its taste, and extend its shelf life. So let’s say once again that it is necessary to limit.
ADD CALCIUM SOURCES TO YOUR NUTRITION
Calcium-containing foods are known to reduce the risk of colon cancer. Because calcium binds bile and fatty acids in the colon. Therefore, sufficient amount of calcium should be taken daily. Likewise, it has been observed that people with vitamin D deficiency have a risk of colon cancer.
We can say that excessive alcohol consumption increases the risk of liver and breast cancer. It is necessary to review the amount of alcohol consumption and consume it in a controlled manner. It should be limited to 1 glass per day for women and 2 glasses for men. It is not the type of alcoholic beverage that is important in terms of cancer risk, but the amount.
BE ON THE MOVE
We know that it is necessary to lose weight by paying attention to what we eat and drink. It is also necessary to be physically active. Because being active helps reduce the risk of cancer by helping weight control and strengthens your immune system. In addition, physical activity reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes. So we have to go out of the house at every opportunity or be on the move, even at home. So it is important to reduce sitting, lying, watching TV, spending time with your phone or computer. In short, being more physically active than normal provides many benefits for your health, regardless of your activity level.
Healthy tips for cancer prevention:
• Cooking methods that are in the oven, grilled or boiled should be preferred without frying or charring red meat, poultry and fish.
• Follow a healthy diet when you eat out. French fries, potatoes and other chips, ice cream, donuts and other desserts etc. Eat vegetables, fruits, salads, and other low-calorie foods instead of high-calorie foods. Restaurants usually offer large portions, but you don’t have to eat them all in one sitting. When ordering, claim half of it and pack the remaining food for lunch or dinner the next day.
• Choose a small plate. If you want to consume dessert occasionally, consume a dessert with milk or a dessert you want in very small portions.
• Be a conscious consumer. Be sure to read the labels of the food products in the market.
• To reduce the fat intake, cook the dishes in a little oil.
• Avoid prepared and processed foods.
• Limit or avoid alcohol consumption. Smoking should not be allowed.
• Reduce the daily intake of sugar. Consume sugary drinks, dumplings, desserts with sherbet by paying attention to the amount and frequency of consumption.
• Avoid excessive use of salt in meals or at the table, and the consumption of foods such as pickles and pickles. Use spices instead of salt.
“MAKE HEALTHY NUTRITION A LIFE STYLE”
Stressing that cancer is a preventable disease when environmental factors are prevented, Ecem Ocak said, “It is possible to minimize the risk of developing cancer when environmental factors are improved. Nutrition is of paramount importance here. Therefore, a healthy diet should be made a lifestyle as soon as possible and physical activity habits should be implemented as much as possible. Also, do not skip the checks and examinations that you need to do. Remember that cancer is a preventable health problem that can be treated when you are not late. Don’t be afraid of cancer! ” used the expressions.