Obesity is a chronic disease associated with an increase in the amount of fat in the body that affects health and weight gain… According to the statements of the World Health Organization, the prevalence of childhood obesity is increasing day by day, including in low- and middle-income countries. The situation in Turkey is not different!
Studies show that the percentage of obesity has increased in our country, and that 10-25 percent of the child and adolescent population is adversely affected by this situation. The majority of boys and girls fall into the overweight and overweight category. Reminding that obesity that develops in childhood causes type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, cardiovascular system, musculoskeletal system diseases as well as a decrease in the child’s self-confidence, psychological problems and the status of success in school is affected. Neva Janissary underlines that the measures to be taken against obesity will reduce the rate of obesity in both childhood and the average population.
Genetic predisposition affects the occurrence of obesity
“We can look at childhood as a golden age,” says Dyt, “since many of them are acquired in childhood, in their habits. Janissary points out that the nutritional habits in the family shape the nutrition of the child.
Dyt. Janissary says: “Although a large part of our diet is related to family habits, there are many factors such as genetic predisposition, living environment, culture, attitude and behaviors that accompany the formation of obesity.
Studies to reduce childhood obesity contribute to the future generations to be healthier individuals. The studies and policies carried out to solve obesity, which is the primary problem of many health problems, ensure that public health improves, while reducing the risk of contracting non-communicable chronic diseases.
Listen to these tips
Dyt. Neva Janissary lists the things that should be done to prevent obesity from the birth of the baby to childhood as follows:
– Take care to feed babies only breast milk for the first 6 months, then complementary foods in addition to breast milk.
– Stay away from traditional methods, avoid giving too much and unnecessary food to the baby with the thought that he is not full. Do not consume foods that are high in carbohydrate and fat, and are not nutritious.
– Be careful not to use pacifiers and bottles that prevent the development of mouth and chewing.
– For the health and nutritional quality of children, adjust the sleep patterns well, determine the sleeping hours correctly.
– The continuity of life and the sine qua non of a healthy life is water! Encourage children to increase their water consumption and to drink enough water daily. If necessary, you can add their favorite fruits to the water and get them to drink more water by purchasing interesting thermoses or drinkers.
– Cook meals at home with healthy cooking methods and provide a variety of foods. Try and develop alternative recipes suitable for healthy eating.
– Choose foods carefully for children. Try again with different recipes and methods instead of forcing them to eat foods they don’t like.
– Teach your child how often and how much to consume these foods before they turn to banned and fast food foods when they reach school age.
– Instill activity in the child. Direct physical activity, take family walks to put sports at the center of your life, Plan sports hours.
– Ensure the child participates in social life; Limit the time spent in front of the computer, phone, television.